Today is Day 15 of the two 30-day challenges I decided to take on this month. The Simple Green Smoothies challenge has been delightful; the yoga, not so much.
I’ve only missed one day of smoothies (it was a long week). I’ve only done yoga seven days of fifteen (it was a long week). Obviously I’d rather eat more than exercise more. But that’s hardly new information; food is my love language.
Thoughts on the smoothie challenge:
- I really like having people tell me what to do and when. The SGS folks give me not only recipes each week but a grocery list so I’ll have all the ingredients I need. The hardest decision I have to make is whether to have my smoothie in the morning or afternoon.
- I really like having flexibility built-in. When I didn’t get to the store in time to make a certain smoothie that called for apricots, I swapped for one that required things I already had on hand.
- I really like the variety. It’s easy for me to get stuck in a rut of making things I like. It’s been fun instead to try some new flavors every day.
- I also really like making lists and judging stuff; the smoothie challenge lets me do both! David and I are keeping track of each smoothie we’ve tried and rating them so we know which ones we liked and want to repeat.
- I do not like kale. Kale is disgusting.
- But seriously, we gave up on kale after gagging down one smoothie full of it. I’m subbing spinach every time, as it is way more palatable. I haven’t tried chard yet, but it’s on the agenda for the coming week. I’m nervous.
- I also don’t care for almond milk as my liquid base. Coconut milk is better, but sometimes water is best. That surprised me.
- David is a good smoothie buddy. He reminds me to make one when I forget (or “forget”) and gives honest feedback on each. I always like critiquing stuff with him, so this aspect of the challenge was unexpected but fun.
- I’m feeling less bloaty. That is definitely related to some other non-diet TMI type things, but still. It’s nice.
- I need to pair my smoothies with protein or make sure to add some in. I’ve had a couple days when I’ve gotten a burst of energy after drinking one, then wanted desperately to take a nap two hours later. Too much fructose in one shot, methinks.
And thoughts on the yoga challenge:
- I really like people telling me what to do and when. Left to my own devices, and with three kids who would take all my attention all the time if I let them, it’s hard to carve out time to focus on yoga. I tend to use time that I could spend on yoga doing things like showering or writing or laying on the couch while checking Instagram because my brain is fried.
- I need some external accountability. I need a yoga buddy, or at least someone to tell me, “Hey Lazy Bones, get your booty on the mat! You’ve got half an hour, so use it!” I’m not very self-motivated.
- When I actually do get on my mat, I feel so much better. My mind is clearer and my body feels lighter. It’s glorious for about 48 hours.You’d think that would be sufficient motivation. It’s not. But it is pleasant to have my good choices rewarded so quickly.
- Kale is disgusting. I know that’s not relevant to yoga, but it bears repeating.
- My back still hurts. A lot. Last night was especially bad. Not surprising, given my lack of consistency. I only have myself to blame.
- I’m surprised at both my flexibility and my lack thereof. Sometimes I’m like, “Well that’s fun, I didn’t know I could do that!” And other times I’m like, “Nope nope nope not happening nope.”
- Same for strength and balance. Bodies are fun like that.
For those who are following along with Simple Green Smoothies, David’s favorite smoothie so far is Pineapple Ginger Bliss (although I didn’t follow the recipe exactly, since there weren’t any apricots at our grocery store; I subbed a nectarine and two mangoes instead) and mine is the Pineapple Upside Down Cake. We both really liked the Citrus Breeze too. Summer Orchard and Grape Lime Rickey? Not so much.
Wish me luck for the rest of the month. And if anyone wants to be my personal trainer and kick my buns into gear, I will happily pay you in smoothies.
What is your favorite smoothie combination? And, all you fit people out there, how in the world do you make time to exercise? I need all the help I can get!